This year’s Great Canadian Hike is a challenge to collectively spend 28,000 hours hiking on our 28,000-kilometre Trans Canada Trail (TCT) between September 15 and October 31. And if you prefer to bike, roll, paddle, or use another form of active transportation, we think that’s great too!
Let’s reduce our screen time and increase our Trail time!
This hike takes place in all provinces and territories and aims to bring all outdoor enthusiasts together (virtually) in the largest coordinated hike in our nation’s history. Other than it happening over a six-week time frame (Sept. 15 to Oct. 31) this is a challenge you can do when you want and how you want, knowing that other Great Canadian Hikers are out on the Trail at the same time as you are, in their local area. We’re all connected by the TCT!
While there are hundreds of reasons to take up the challenge and join the Great Canadian Hike this year, here are our top five reasons for why you won’t want to miss it.
1. It’s an opportunity for you to disconnect to reconnect
Screens are a big part of our lives but there is something special about taking a breather, setting your screen down, and spending time in the great outdoors. Find some time to feel the breeze on your face and hear the birds singing!
2. It’s 100% FREE
The best things in life are FREE! No matter your financial situation, this challenge is open and accessible for EVERYONE.
3. You can walk, jog, cycle or paddle
Discover new treks right outside your door on the longest recreational trail in the world. The Trans Canada Trail offers a wide range of activities through a variety of landscapes – urban, rural and wilderness, along greenways, waterways and roadways. Choose to take the challenge on foot, on wheels or on water and invite your family and friends to join the challenge too.
4. Experience the best of the best with Featured Hikes
We’ve put together a group of awesome trails – known as Featured Hikes – in each province and territory to help inspire you for your challenge. No Featured Hikes close to you? No problem! Choose a Trail section close to you and register to participate.
5. The Great Canadian Hike is COVID-19 friendly
Spread out over six weeks and 28,000 kilometres – this is a physically distant, socially together challenge, inclusive of everyone. Once you find a Trail section close to you, choose your preferred date, a start time, and commit to hike a number of kilometres – it’s that easy!
Register for free today at greatcanadianhike.ca
For more chances to win great prizes – don’t forget to:
- Share your challenge with friends and family
- Submit your photos and videos of your adventure on our gallery by submitting here
- Share your photos and videos on your social media channels and use the hashtag #GreatCanadianHike
BEFORE YOU GO
Before heading out on the Trail, please keep these in mind:
- The trails that are part of our network are locally owned and operated. So, the decision to close their sections for a range of reasons (staffing, safety, busier sections that may make social distancing less effective, etc.) is under their purview. Our recommendation for trail users is that they follow provincial and federal guidelines, but to always check the status of trail you’re planning to visit.
- Before going outside, please consult the latest updates from the Government of Canada, the World Health Organization, your province, your municipality and the organization that manages your chosen section of the Trail. The pandemic situation may change suddenly, so we may not be made aware of all trail closures. We understand that the situation might be frustrating for Canadians who wish to enjoy some fresh air. However, some local trails volunteer organizations may be facing unforeseen challenges and determine that it is in the public’s best interest to close their section.